Monday, January 18, 2010

The talents

'Art' is universal, variety of disciplines and categories but most people might relate 'art' to drawing and painting kinda stuffs or perhaps anything that is colourful, decorations of wall etc, I guess the implementation of the word 'art' during our school days leads to our misunderstanding.. anyway what the heck! Art is all about expressions and skills, to value and to appreciate one's creations. Talking about 'value', I have a lil conversation with a local artist, he is one local success man in this field, or must I say he is professional. Most of his paintings meet the standard quality and for commercial purpose. He experienced to sell his works for hundred and thousand of dollars.. thumbs up! but to my surprise he was saying 'some' locals are doing 'comparison' in prices.. is it make sense? and is it appropriate? come on, art craft is not a 'machine' craft, its hand craft !.. its okey to negotiate price but to compare price? heh it sounds funny. For me work of arts need wise consideration, we cannot simply do comparison in term of price.. art is all about quality, originality, creativity to consider, in fact every piece of art is unique. In other words dont expect a 5cm abstract painting should be cheaper than a 5 feet portrait, look at the works thoroughly.. look for the quality not sizes!. What i am saying here is try to appreciate one's hardwork and creativity. Am I making any sense? consider this, how do you feel after all your hard works are being stereotype with a lame excuse? macam mana tah kan maju.. but then 'value' for every single piece of art work may vary, depending on its quality. So pandai-pandai tah menilai..

Anyway I m impressed with some of our local talents. Here is an example of a piece of artwork done by a young UBD student who is majoring in art. I am convince to his talent by looking to this art work. He painted this piece for a week using acrylic as the medium and coloured in brownish tone. Looking at the subject matter quite impress me, a posed of our generation, sincere expressions, natural beauty, moreover its cultural and showing a bond of friendship.. well I am not judging, perhaps I am not good in giving comment, nor critics.. it is just my point of view. By the way, this artwork is sold, for how much? well, let just say it worth the price.